Monday, May 22, 2006

the church

During our Monday night Bible study, we have been studying about what the Spirit of God said to the 7 churches and how that applies to us. It has been a powerful time of "revelation" as we have seen truth for ourselves. Our last look at the churches concludes with the Sardis-a church that had a name, but was actually dead. It was a dead church in an affluenct community. And God's instruction to the church were to WAKE UP! and strengthen what has not yet died. He wants them to succeed, but that success can only come when when they remember what they have received and live in it....they have become complacent-a religious place, but not a place in relationship with Him.
Of course, we all remember Laodecia-the lukewarm church. But have we really stopped to contemplate that 2 of the last 3 churches were rebuked for apathy, complacency, religious activity or because they were so self sufficient that they didn't need God? God called this church wretched-condemned, miserable-most to be pitied, poor-beggars, blind-unable to see, naked-exposed.
I am overtaken by the address of Jesus to these....to us. 3 of the other 5 churches were rebuked for stirring up strife, immorality in the church, tolerating evil talkers and doers, losing their focus and not putting God First. Only 2 churches were even close to be acceptable-one which endured great tribulation and the other that kept the Word of God and was kept from tribulation.
As I am finishing up this study, I am wondering what God would say to us...the church? Are we apathetic, complacent-needing to wake up and gain strengthe before we are totally dead? Are we lukewarm-hypocrites, in name only, full of religious activity, having fallen away from our first love? Are we tolerates of evil, strife stirrers, wretched, miserable, poor, beggars, blind and naked? I am sure none of these are things we want to admit, but maybe it is time for us all to search our hearts and hear what the Spirit is saying to the church? That would be ME and YOU!
In my own life, I find such complacency and a need to arise....and not sleep or slumber. I see so many areas where I am apathetic and tolerate sin. I am so convicted-that as the church-I am not ready for His return and must immediately begin to turn my heart to match His.

Father, stir our hearts from the complacency and apathy. Awaken us to Your truth.
Bring us back to our passionate pursuit of you. Rescue me from the state of wretchedness, miserable, poor, blind and nakedness that I am in. Help me to keep your Word and to endure.....persevering to the end in YOUR Truth. Do not let me be a pleaser of man, but of you. May your standard be mine and may I not compromise or follow after those who are not holding that standard forth....
let it begin in me....ALL FOR YOU

No comments: