Monday, May 08, 2006

Circumcision

Yes, I know...that is a weird title, but stay with me long enough to see the truth that is behind it. I have been studying in Colossians and was reminded today of truth about Christ that I believe has been dismissed and neglected.
It says: (col 2:11) and IN HIM you were also circumcised with a cirumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of flesh by the circumcision of Christ.
Romans 6:6 enlightens us to this truth by stating that "our old self was crucified with Him in order that our body of sin might be done away with so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; for he who has died is freed from sin."
Deut 30:6 says the Lord you God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants to love the Lord Your God with all your heart and with all your soul, so that you may live!"
And Gal 5:24 says "those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires."

Circumcision is a cutting away of the flesh and in Biblical terms it is no different. Christ has removed our body of flesh. It was crucified with Him in order that our flesh might be done away with and we might walk in the Spirit of God that now lives within us, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin, but free to walk in Him. God has cut away the flesh of our hearts and Ezekiel takes it a step further to say that he removed our heart of stone and gave us a new heart. Our flesh lives no more if we have died with Him, raised to walk in new life. This means our fleshly desires and passions do not control us.
So why do we live as if they do? Because we have not "considered the members of our earthly body as dead" to these things!

God has cut away our flesh...at the cross. Old things have passed away, all things are new. He has circumcised our hearts! So quit living as if the old person is still alive.
For me, it means remembering to die everyday, every minute, that Christ in me might be glorified and exalted. I am not to be controlled by my flesh, my desires or my passions, but by the Spirit of God, by Christ Himself, living in ME! That is the mystery of this age...Christ in me, the hope of Glory!

ALL FOR YOU

No comments: