Monday, August 20, 2007

are we falling


I am sitting in the Chicago airport having just arrived from Greenville. We are traveling with all three boys and it has been quite an adventure already. There are terrible storms in Washington, tons of flights were cancelled and rerouted. Therefore, the airports are crazy. We didn’t have seats together, so we are in the process of having our seats reassigned. And the boys are going crazy. I have just given them Dramamine, in hopes that they will sleep the rest of the way.
The flight from Greenville was somewhat interesting. The stewardess was quite the comedian, making jokes about how for those of us that have not been in a car since 1957, we will need to know how to work a seat belt. We had seats in the very back, which was perfect for the boys. They were excited about the adventure. The first half of the trip was a bit uneventful, as they settled in to watching movies and having snacks. That is until we hit a little turbulence.
For me….well, I don’t like turbulence. I don’t like roller coasters and I don’t like planes that drop or bump in the air. But Micah, that is a different story. He loves it. He thought it was cool. He immediately started screaming…WEEEEE and then looked at me and asked “are we falling?” To which I answered, “I hope not!”
We were passing through clouds and we couldn’t see how far up or down we were. Things were bumping around and I found myself grabbing the seat in front of me, which Jim was seated in. But Micah, was cracking up laughing and enjoying the ride. Every time we would drop, he would laugh and ask me again if we were falling. I didn’t think it was so funny. But, he did.
I was thinking about the reason why it didn’t bother him. It might be because he has a bigger sense of adventure than I do. It might be that he is going to be a roller coaster lover and I am not. It might be that he loved the risk and the feeling of his stomach in his throat. But I kinda think that it might be because he wasn’t thinking about the danger and he trusted the pilot.
Micah was not thinking about the danger involved in “falling” out of the sky. He was excited about the ride. He was excited about the adventure and the bumps along the way didn’t bother him. He wasn’t concerned that he couldn’t see what was ahead. He trusted the pilot and didn’t think that the pilot was really going to let us fall out of the sky, even when it FELT like it.
Maybe we need to embrace some “Micah thinking”. Maybe, we need to be excited about the journey God has on us, despite the bumps along the way that might make us think that we are falling. We may not like the feeling of falling, but we can get over that when we trust the pilot that is in charge. When we trust the Father so completely that even when we FEEL like we are falling, we can rest in the truth that no matter what we FEEL we know the reality is that we are just on a bumpy journey and we will arrive safely at our destination.
So, Micah has just proven one of my life’s motto’s. LIFE IS A JOURNEY, ENJOY THE RIDE….even if it is bumpy or feels like we are falling. Trust the Father…
ALL FOR YOU

No comments: