Friday, January 26, 2007


My heart follows my feet.....
I have long believed that obedience in Scripture is a misunderstood teaching. For God does not merely desire our obedience, but our hearts. However, I also believe that sometimes our hearts just need time to catch up. Which means, I obey-even when I don't feel like it and my heart will catch up. It is a matter of disciplining our hearts, setting our hearts to chase after the things of God. Because every thought and intention of man is wicked (Jer 17:9 9 "The heart is more deceitful than all else and is desperately sick; who can understand it?)
I KNOW and readily acknowledge that my heart is prone to wander-probably more than most. Therefore, I-like Paul, find it necessary to "run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; but I buffet my body and make it my slave, lest possibly, after I have preached to others, I myself should be disqualified. (1 Cor 9:26-27) I must RUN and beat my body to make it a slave to God, to righteousness to, to grace, to Love, to holiness, to pursuing Him.
This is WORK. It takes being intentional. It takes laying aside every encumbrance and running after Him. It takes sacrifice, dying to self and focus. It takes accountability. It takes the Word of God.
I don't want to be disqualified....so this is NOT an option, but the demand of life as a believer. And quite honestly, there are days my heart just doesn't want to do it anymore. I get tired. I begin to wonder why do I even try. I struggle with results. I fail...I fall....I become angry at the lack of produce and fruit. I get tired of swimming upstream in the religious pond. I get weary and lonely...My heart wanders....

And then the WORD comes alongside my wandering heart and sets my feet to the path....
Do not grow weary. Do not lose heart.
Gal 6:9 And let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we shall reap if we do not grow weary.

Why?
so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; {and} that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fulness of God. Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him {be} the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.

And then I am reminded that my heart will follow my feet.

KEEP RUNNING, buffeting....even when your heart wanders...so that Christ may dwell in our hearts and we will know the Love of HIM who is able to do more than we think or ask. Don't lose heart....set it...and run.ALL FOR YOU

No comments: