Friday, January 01, 2010

12 words

I am struck today by 12 words that I think will both define and determine the journey from this point forward. I am not sure why I missed them previously…and I am not sure why I didn’t clue into their meaning. But even after studying Daniel for a month, I missed it. Yet, Last night, minutes after the New Year came in, sitting in the tub, praying, reading and setting my heart….these words came to my attention. These words spoke volumes of where we have been and where we are going. They ring with truth and determination, depth and a confidence of both where they are going and what they know. They ring with evidence of people who are holding the rope, steadfast immovable.

They have reminded me that people will NEVER understand. And even those with the “authority” over us will try to exercise it and cause us to bow to other things, particularly their desires. Much like Nehemiah…there will be those who try to keep you from doing the good work…and our answer has had and will continue to be…we are doing a good work, we will not come down.

These words….

“O King, WE DO NOT NEED TO DEFEND OURSELVES BEFORE YOU IN THIS MATTER.”

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednigo stood before the ultimate of earthly authority in their lives. They stood when the King wanted them to bow, to cower to his demands, desires and threats. They stood despite what it could cost, dependent on a God that would deliver, confident He would save them-but even if didn’t, trusting that they would not be deterred or bow. And when the authority pushed, tried to cause them to bow….their words RANG out. When the King tried to pull the authority card, the cost card, the power card, the death card, the threat card….When he didn’t understand and tried to force them…their words brought clarity…..

WE DO NOT NEED TO DEFEND OURSELVES BEFORE YOU IN THIS MATTER.

Throw us in the fire if you must, for our God will meet us there….but we don’t need to defend our choice.

Heat it up 7 times hotter…but we don’t need to defend why we choose what we choose…not even to the ultimate earthly authority.

For God RULES over all and we do not choose to bow….Clearly…this is more important that pleasing you.

WE DO NOT NEED TO DEFEND OURSELVES BEFORE YOU IN THIS MATTER.



I don’t need a reason. I don’t need to convince. I don’t need for them to understand. I don’t need to talk them into it. I don’t need words or actions that demonstrate why. I don’t need to defend, justify, compromise or even delay in hopes of understanding. I don’t need to explain or make plain. WE DO NOT NEED TO DEFEND OURSELVES BEFORE YOU IN THIS MATTER.

It is what it is…there is no explanation that will make you understand…except to watch me choose despite the threat…so that you might briefly glimpse the power, love and depth I am willing to face-and not defend…just keep on…

NO RESPONSE>…will not change, stop, defend or delay.



WE DO NOT NEED TO DEFEND OURSELVES BEFORE YOU IN THIS MATTER>…..12 words that will define and determine.

ALL FOR YOU

No comments: